My family used to eat at a Greek restaurant often and some of us really enjoyed their lentil soup, my mother then managed to replicate it rather accurately, It is a vegetarian soup that would go great with some pita bread and a sandwich.
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 1 large potato
- 2 carrots (or halved baby carrots)
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cups fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp Vinigar or lemon juice
- Ground Pepper and Salt
- Slice the onion into large chunks.
- Saute onion chunks in a small amount of olive oil in a large pot (or if you prefer the low edges use a skillet)
- If you cooked the onions in a skillet like me go ahead and toss them into a large pot.
- Add the 2 cups of brown lentils and 6 cups of water to the pot.
- Bring the contents of the pot to a boil.
- While you are waiting on the Contents to boil go ahead and chop the Carrots into thick slices, the potato into large cubes, and chop the parsley up fine.
- Once boiling add the rest of your carrots, potato, and parsley
- Once the potatoes and lentils are tender, you may salt and pepper to taste.
WARNING:(Don't salt the beans until they are done or it will make them tough.)
- Just before serving, add a couple tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice
Put it in a bowl and enjoy it, you may want to add more salt or pepper to it, and I find adding some more uncooked fresh parsley enhances the flavor. File:LSfinal.jpg