Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (preferably Hawaiian sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground sage
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (blending a variety of cinnamons adds depth to the flavor)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon ketchup (ideally banana ketchup from the Philippines)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/8 cup orange juice
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper (habanero as a substitute) (or you can substitute a half a jalapeno pepper depending on your preferences or if you like less heat)
- 3 green onions -- finely chopped
- 1 Whole Chicken
- Put the soy sauce, olive oil, brown sugar, lime juice, orange juice, green onion, white vinegar, and scotch bonnet into a blender and blend for about 3 minutes.
- Pour the mixture from the blender into a pot and add the remaining ingredients.
- Put cold water in 2 medium size bowls (about 500 ml) and leave a 3 medium size bowl empty.
- In the first bowl, put a teaspoon of sea salt of your choice into the water.
- In the second bowl, put 3 tablespoons of the jerk sauce mixture from the pot into the water.
- In the third bowl, pout half of the remaining sauce from the pot.
- Pre-Heat BBQ (barbeque) to 300F using only half of the burners. If you have 3 burners turn on only one. You can also rotisserie the chicken and in that case use the rotisserie settings on your BBQ. The rest of the directions will assume you will not be using the rotisserie function of you BBQ.
- Place the whole chicken on the side of the BBQ that has the burners off. You do not want direct heat under the chicken while it is cooking (exceptions noted below).
- About every 10 minutes, temporarily turn on all the burners in your BBQ and spoon 4 tablespoons of the salt water from bowl 1 onto the chicken slowly. Once complete, turn off the burners you just turned on. Continue to do this for about a half an hour.
- About every 10 minutes, temporarily turn on all the burners in your BBQ and spoon 4 tablespoons of the jerk sauce water mixture from bowl 2 onto the chicken slowly. Once complete, turn off the burners you just turned on. Continue to do this for about a half an hour. The chicken will be light brown at the end of this process.
- About every 10 minutes, temporarily turn on all the burners in your BBQ and spread a few dollops of the of the jerk sauce from bowl 3 onto the chicken slowly using a brush. Once complete, turn off the burners you just turned on. Continue to do this for about an hour to an hour and half depending on the size of your chicken. The chicken will be brown at the end of this process and the wings and legs will be very easy to move. Do not worry about over cooking the chicken.
- Bring the sauce that was left in the pot to a boil on medium heat and let boil for about 4 minutes and then remove from heat. It is now ready to server as a sauce for the chicken once it has been cut and served.
See the chili pepper warnings.