- 1 cup Karo, Red Label
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup candied cherries cut fine
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- First pour the Karo into a saucepan, add the sugar, salt and water and boil (238°F) until a little, tried in cold water, forms a hard ball.
- Beat the egg whites stiff and pour in the candy mixture, beating constantly until the mixture is almost as thick as whipped cream.
- Stir in the vanilla, cherries and nuts and pour into a pan oiled well with Mazola.
- The nougat should be about half inch thick.
- Let stand over night, cut into oblong pieces and wrap in wax paper.