Homemade Advocaat I
Boy, is advocaat delicious! (I usually get a bottle of it from the Dutch-America store and skip the above...:) this delicious dutch drink is actually eaten with a spoon! one more from from Holland with love ... the dutch national drink!!
- 10 eggs
- ½ level teaspoon salt
- 275 grams sugar
- 4 dl cognac
- 1½ level teaspoons vanilla essence (extract, i think)
- Separate the eggs and beat the yolks with the salt and the sugar, until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Beat in the cognac, very slowly and put the mixture into a double saucepan.
- Heat gently, whisking all the time until the advocaat is warm (not hot) and thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla essence.
- Pour into a jug.
- advocaat is served in a glass and eaten with a teaspoon.
- It can also be topped with whipped cream.
- Also, might i add, that advocaat is nothing like the eggnog here in america.
- It is thick and creamy — not foamy at all.