- 6.5kg smoked gammon, with knuckle bone
- 250 ml red wine
- water to cover
- 1 large onion, halved
- 2 cloves garlic (unpeeled)
- 1 head fennel, halved
- 2 star anise
- 1x15ml tbsp croiander seed
- 1x15ml tbsp fennel seed
- 1x15ml tbsp mixed peppercorns
- approx 20 whole cloves
- 4x15ml tbsp cranberry or redcurrant jelly
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Include all ingredients (omitting the glaze ingredients) into a pot.
- Cover with water so ham is completely immersed.
- Bring to boil.
- Turn down to simmer and partially cover.
- Cook for ~3 1/2 hours.
- Warm oven to 200 degrees C.
- Gently remove the ham from the hot water.
- Let it cool a bit.
- Using a sharp knife remove the rind and some of the fat, only leaving a thin layer of fat.
- Score a diamond pattern on the remaining fat, about 2 cm apart.
- Stud each diamond with a clove.
- Take all of the glaze ingredients and put in a sauce pan.
- Whisk over high heat.
- Bring to boil for ~5 min to reduce, achieveing a syrupy consistency.
- Place ham in roasting pan, lined with tin foil.
- Pour glaze over ham.
- Cook for ~15 min.
- Remove ham and leave to sit on a wooden board.
- Leave to cool for ~2-3 hours.
- Carve and enjoy.