- 250 ml whole milk
- 125 ml double cream
- 125 ml single cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 4 free range eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- 300 g caster sugar
- 250 g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Combine all ingredients (except caramel topping) in blender.
- Blend for 2 minutes.
- Place thin layer of caramel topping on bottom of a round pie pan. Pour egg mixture on top of caramel topping.
- Place the smaller pie pan in a larger pan filled with enough water so that it comes about one inch up the side of the smaller pan. This will act as a double boiler and stop the flan from burning.
- Place both pans in oven.
- Cook for 1 hour or until center is firm. Remove from oven.
- Wait until cool.
- Place a round dish over the top of the smaller pan and flip it over. The flan can be served on the dish.