- 250 ml whole milk
- 125 ml double cream
- 125 ml single cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 4 free range eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- 300 g caster sugar
- 250 g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- Warm 6 ramekins, or custard cups.
- Create the caramel sauce.
- Over low heat put half the water and the sugar in a pan, dissolving the sugar.
- Ensure sugar melts evenly.
- Increase the heat to medium and boil, achieveing a dark brown colour.
- Remove from heat.
- Add in rest of water to stop cooking, stir achieveing a smooth consistency.
- Pour caramel ~1 cm into each cup.
- Warm oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a heavy pan combine the milk and both creams.
- Include the vanilla pod and slowly bring to boil.
- Remove from heat and let sit away from heat for ~5 min.
- Mix together, by beating: whole eggs, egg yolks and sugar, achieveing a smooth consistency.
- Strain warm milk, then include it in the egg and sugar mixture by constantly whisking.
- Let stand for ~25 min.
- Skim off the froth.
- Leave to cool.
- Pour cooled custard into ramekins, filling each one.
- Have the molds in a baking tin with warm water surrounding the flan cups.
- Cook in oven for ~33 min.
- Remove from tin, allowing to cool.
- Unmould custards before serving.