Roasted Eggplant Caviar   is a great dip to use over vegetables and either a toasted pita or pumpernickel bread.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp basil, coarsely chopped
- salt & fresh ground ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rinse eggplant.
- Prick eggplant with fork a few times.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil and place the eggplant on it.
- Roast the eggplant for ~47 minutes, achieving a dry feeling on the top side of the eggplant.
- Let cool for ~11 minutes.
- Take eggplant, cut in half.
- Scoop the pulp out of both halves.
- Chop the eggplant pulp until you achieve a very fine consistency, keep the seeds.
- Throw out skin.
- Blend all ingredients to together.
- Achieve a smooth consistency.
- Serve at room temperature.