Churros and Chocolate
- 250 g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 200 ml water
- 300 ml vegetable oil for deep frying
- 50 g caster sugar for dusting
- 150 g best quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), plus a little extra, finely chopped to finish
- 300 ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 100 ml whipping cream
- Start with the churros.
- Combine flour and salt.
- Melt butter in a pan with water, bring to boil.
- Immediately, add to the flour mixture.
- With a wooden spoon constantly stir to achieve a thick smooth paste.
- Cover and refrigerate for ~30 min.
- Make the hot chocolate.
- Grate chocolate into a bowl.
- In a pan include the double cream, split vanilla pod and cinnamon stick, bring to boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove the vanilla pod and cinnamon stick.
- Include the the grated chocolate.
- Stir the chocolate in, get it to completely melt.
- Whip cream, achieve a firm consistency.
- Cook the churros.
- In a deep fryer or deep pan heat the oil to 180 degrees C.
- Either spoon the churro mixture into a churrera, or a piping bag with a 2 cm nozzle, squeeze 15 cm lenght churros into the hot oil.
- Churros can be created straight, curly, or loopy.
- Deep fry a few at a time for ~8 minutes, achieve a golden brown appearance.
- Using a slotted spoon remove from oil and let drain on paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Generously dust with the caster sugar.
- Evenly distribute the chocolate into glasses, finishing off with a dollop of whipped cream, topped with chopped chocolate.