A Vegetable Soup
Cook Time: aprox. 2 hours and 15 minutes
- 1 clove garlic, whole
- 1 tspn rosemary
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups dried garbanzo beans
- 4 cans Chickpeas, rinsed and drained (aprox. 15 oz.)
- aprox. 4 cups water or chicken stock
- 2 tbls baking soda
- 2-3 onions, chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- lemon slices (for garnish)
Soak the beans overnight in warm water. Strain and dust with baking soda. Let stand for 15 minutes. Rinse with hot water and rub a few at a time between your fingers to remove the skins (throw away the skins). Place into a strainer and rinse thoroughly for several minutes. Put into a large pot along with enough water or chicken stock to cover and bring to a boil. Skim off the foam as it rises. Add the onions, oil, salt and pepper. Simmer covered until the beans split for about 90 min. to 2 hours.
Serve hot with lemon slices.