- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika (optional)
- 4 pound stewing chicken, cut up
- shortening or vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons flour
- chive dumplings
Combine 1 cup flour, salt, pepper and paprika, then coat the chicken with this mixture. Heat some shortening in a pan, brown chicken on all sides. Remove fat and keep. Include some water, chopped onion, lemon juice and herbs (dried rosemary, thyme leaves) to the chicken. Simmer on low heat, covered for ~2.5-3.5 hours, adding water when low. Heat up 3 tablespoons of the fat, add in 3 tablespoons of flour, cooking over low heat. Remove once consistency is smooth and bubbly, then add milk so the total liquid would equal 3 cups all together. Place this all over heat to boil, constantly stir. Boil and stir for one minute. Pour over chicken. Spoon chive dumplings onto hot chicken, cook uncovered for ~10 minutes. Then cover and cook for ~20 minutes.
- Cooking for One or Two Cookbook. Taste of Home. pp. 152. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Chicken-Fricassee.
- Crocker, Betty (1979). Betty Crocker's Cookbook New and Revised Edition. Golden Press/New York Western Publishing Company, Inc.. pp. 95. ISBN 78-52003.