Cabbage rolls   is a traditional common side for North American dinners.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, cooked
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 18 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 2 heads green cabbage
- 9 cups water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 oz can tomato juice
- Warm oven to 350 degree F.
- Combine beef, rice, salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves and tomatoes.
- Rinse and core cabbage.
- In a large pot, fill with 8 cups of water, sugar, lemon juice, vinegar and bay leaves. Boil.
- Soften cabbage by leaving in water for ~5 minutes.
- Drain cabbage then leave to cool.
- Peel a few leaves from the cabbage.
- Take 1/4 cup of beef mixture and roll in each leaf.
- Fold in sides and roll over.
- Place cabbage roll in a baking pan, seam side facing down.
- Combine tomato juice and 1 cup of water and pour over the cabbage rolls in the baking pan.
- Enclose baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake for ~47 min.
- ↑ Rombauer, Becker, Becker, Irma, Marion, Ethan Espe (2006). 75th joy of cooking. Simon & Schuster Inc.. pp. 263-264. ISBN 13:978-0-7432-4626-2.
- ↑ Yearwood, Trisha Espe. Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood. Clarkson Potter/Publishers New York. pp. 84. ISBN 978-0-307-46523-8.