Difference between revisions of "Broccoli and Rice Casserole"
m (1 revision)
Revision as of 13:04, 25 March 2012
Always check the ingredients to make sure the product is vegan.
- 1 bunch of broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 stick of vegan margarine
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3½ cups boiling water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- pinch of turmeric
- 1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of paprika
- Steam the broccoli, about 6 minutes.
- Prepare the rice according to package directions.
- Spread the cooked rice evenly over the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle the broccoli over the rice and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt the margarine in a medium frying pan over low heat.
- Beat in the flour with a whisk over medium heat until the mixture is smooth and bubbly, the whisk in the boiling water, salt, sot sauce, garlic and onion powders, and turmeric.
- Cook the sauce until it thickens and bubbles, then whip in the yeast.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the broccoli and rice, sprinkle the top with paprika, and bake for 15 minutes.