- 1½ cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, bruised
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 chili peppers seeded and chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup flour
- oil for frying
- Soak the peas in water to cover overnight.
- Drain and place in saucepan with fresh water to cover.
- Add the sliced onion and bruised garlic.
- Bring the water to a boil and simmer for about 2 hours or until the peas are soft.
- Drain well.
- Puree in a food mill or food processor.
- Add the crushed garlic, chile peppers, and salt; mix well.
- Form into 1-inch balls and roll in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Heat the oil to 350 °F and carefully drop the balls in, a few at a time.
- Fry for about 1 minute or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.