Black Bean Soup with Rice and Sherry
Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup black beans
- ½ pound smoked ham hock
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups chicken broth
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked rice
- ½ cup dry sherry
- 1 small red onion, chopped, rinsed
- Cover beans with water.
- Soak overnight.
- Drain beans and place in large stockpot.
- Add ham hock, onion, carrot, parsley, garlic, thyme, beef broth and chicken broth; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 6 to 8 hours.
- Strain soup and discard ham hock.
- Puree remaining bean mixture in food processor or blender.
- Add to liquid and continue cooking, uncovered, for 2 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Pour soup into bowls.
- Garnish with rice, sherry and red onion.