Banh Phu The
Banh Phu The is a Vietnamese Hue dessert. It is also popular in Bhutan.
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb starch flour
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- 5 ounces yellow mung beans, soaked in water
- ⅔ sugar syrup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon extract or pomelo blossom fruit essence
- Mix water, flour, sugar and shredded coconut, heat on low flame and stir for about 10 minutes.
- Cook mung bean until tender, may take up to 1 hour on stove top.
- Drain then put back on stove.
- Pour in sugar syrup and oil.
- When most of the liquid has evaporate, add extract and remove from heat.
- Put a thin layer of dough in small individual molds or cupcake tins, layer a small spoon of stuffing on top and top with another layer of dough.
- Place them in steamer for about 20 minutes or until the dough is transparent.
- Remove from molds, let cool and serve with green tea.