Banana Bread II
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Reserve ¼ cup of the most perfectly shaped nuts for the garnish. Chop the rest of the nuts coarsely and toss them with the raisins and 1 Tbs. of the flour. Sift the remaining flour with the baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas to a smooth puree. Stir in the vanilla and set aside.
- In a deep bowl, cream the remaining butter and the sugar together.
- Add the egg, and when it is well blended beat in the flour and the bananas alternately, adding about one third of each mixture at a time, and continue to beat until the batter is smooth. Gently but thoroughly stir in the chopped nuts and raisins.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and arrange the reserved nuts attractively on the top. Bake the bread in the middle of the oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn it out on a wire cake rack. Serve the banana bread either warm or cool.