Bajak Chili Sauce
- 8 red chilies, seeded and sliced
- 1 tsp. dried Shrimp paste (terasi), toasted
- ź tsp. grated nutmeg
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 6 Shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1˝ tsp. chopped palm sugar
- 2 Tbs. oil
- 2 salam leaves
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bruised
- ˝ inch galangal (laos), peeled and sliced
- 4 Tbs. tamarind juice
- Grind with a mortar and pestle or blend the first 7 ingredients very finely.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat. Sauté the ground ingredients along with salam leaves, lemongrass and galangal. Stir it frequently until the mixture changes color and becomes very fragrant.
- Lastly, pour the tamarind juice and let it simmer for about a minute and then leave to cool.
- Remove salam leaves, lemongrass and galangal before serving.