Bahamian Guava Duff
I had this dish one time on a business trip to the Bahamas... Unbelievably good!
- 12 – 15 large guavas, cored and peeled
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Rub cores through sieve to obtain some of the pulp, and mix with cut up guavas.
- Add sugar to taste.
- Beat butter, cooking oil with sugar, then beat in egg yokes.
- Sieve flour, baking powder and salt and fold inches add vanilla.
- Divide dough in 3 balls.
- Refrigerate ½ hour until firm.
- Spread out each of the balls on a piece of foil; cover with guava.
- Starting at one end, fold into roll.
- Cover with foil, place in baking bag and seal.
- Boil 1 hour in large pot with hot water.
- Slice and serve warn with sauce.
- Beat egg whites in dish until foamy.
- Cream butter and sugar in a separate dish until sugar has dissolved.
- Gradually add egg whites and vanilla and continue beating till smooth.
- Add to top of warn guava duff when serving.