Difference between revisions of "BBQ Sauce"
|Line 31:||Line 31:|
Latest revision as of 14:34, 16 June 2012
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 fresh red chiles, stalks removed
- olive oil
herbs & spices
- 10 sprigs of fresh thyme (or lemon thyme), leaves picked
- 10 sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves picked
- small bunch of fresh cilantro
- 10 bay leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 6 whole cloves
- zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 1 heaping cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- generous 2/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp English mustard
- generous 2/3 cup apple juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
Blend the onion, garlic and chiles to achieve a fine paste. Over low heat fry the paste in a pan with some olive oil for ~5 min. Blend well: all herbs & spices (as listed above), include a few strips of orange zest (no white pith). Include this in the pan and fry for ~1 min, creating a thick brown paste. Include 1 1/4 cups of water, cook for ~2 more min. Include all other ingredients as well as squeezing the orange juices into mixture. Combine and stir well. Bring to boil, then reduce heat. Let simmer for ~8 min, thickening the mixture. Put sauce through a fine strainer. Rinse strainer and repeat once more. Let cool and use.
- Rombauer, Becker, Becker, Irma, Marion, Ethan Espe (2006). 75th joy of cooking. Simon & Schuster Inc.. pp. 586. ISBN 13:978-0-7432-4626-2.
- Oliver, Jamie Espe (2010). Jamie's AMERICA easy twists on great american classics, and more. Michael Joseph / The Penguin Group. pp. 296. ISBN 978-1-4013-2360-8.