Apple Cranberry Tea Ring
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Serves 12.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1¼-ounce packet Red Star active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (1 medium) apple, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ¾ cup toasted nuts, chopped
- Blend 1 cup flour with next 4 ingredients; set aside.
- Heat milk, water and butter until warm (120°F); pour into large bowl.
- Add flour mixture.
- Beat on low 30 seconds; add egg.
- Beat on medium 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining flour.
- Knead on floured surface 5 to 8 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in oiled bowl; turn to grease. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size, 1 hour.
- Punch down dough on lightly floured surface. Roll into 15 x 12-inch rectangle.
- Blend egg white and water; brush over dough.
- Refrigerate remaining egg wash.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough. Top with apple, cranberries and nuts.
- Starting with long side of dough, roll into log; pinch to seal.
- Form into ring; overlap and seal ends.
- Place seam-side down on greased baking sheet.
- Using scissors, cut ring from outside through all dough layers to within 1-inch of center. Make 12 cuts, 2-inches apart.
- Twist each cut section ¾-turn so cut side faces downward forming pinwheel.
- Cover with damp cloth and let rise in warm place until indentation remains after touching side, 30 minutes.
- Brush with remaining egg wash.
- Bake in preheated 375°F.
- Oven 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown; cool.
- Blend powdered sugar, orange juice and orange zest.
- Drizzle over cooled tea ring.