Ají de Lengua
- 1 tongue of cow (2 lbs. more or less)
- water sufficient to cook the tongue
- ˝ cup oil
- 2 cups white Onion, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup tomato, peeled and finely chopped
- ˝ cup ground spicy red pepper
- ˝ cup parsley, finely chopped
- ˝ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crumbled oregano
- ˝ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup green peas, peeled
- 4 cups broth or water
- 1 spoonful salt
- Before cooking the tongue, soften it by beating it with a cooking hammer so that later it is easy to peel. Pour water in a large casserole and set it to boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling add the tongue. Let it cook for two hours until it is soft.
- Remove the tongue from the pot, let it cool and peel the skin that covers it. Then cut the tongue into thin slices.
- In a separate casserole add the oil and set to cook over high heat. Once the oil is hot add the Onion. Sauté the Onion. Then add the tomato, spicy red pepper, parsley, cumin, oregano, ground pepper, Peas, broth and finally the salt. Mix well and let it cook for one hour more or less. The mixture must be thick.
- To the previous preparation add the tongue slices, mix well and let it cook a little until the tongue takes the flavor from the sauce.
- Serve hot with one Potato per person, chuńo phuti and steamed rice. Garnish with the uncooked sauce on top.