Zesty Fresh Lemon Nut Bars
Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Makes 3 dozen bar cookies.
- ½ cup butter or margarine, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Lemon Glaze
- To make crust, in bowl cream together butter, granulated sugar and ½ of lemon peel.
- Gradually stir in 1¼ cups flour to form soft crumbly dough.
- Press evenly into bottom of 13 by 9 by 2 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 °F for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile to prepare filling, in bowl, combine brown sugar, walnuts, eggs, baking powder, remaining ¼ cup flour and ½ lemon peel.
- Spread over baked crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven; thinly spread with lemon glaze while still hot.
- Cool; cut into 36 pieces.