Whole Sizzling Catfish with Ginger and Ponzu Sauce
A Catfish recipe.
- 2 x 2½ pound whole U.S. farm-raised catfish, gutted
- 12 slices fresh ginger, blanched
- peanut oil for deep frying
- 1 lemon
- Make three 2-inch slits on each side of each catfish.
- Stuff each slit with a slice of ginger.
- Pour enough peanut oil into a wok or a large, deep skillet so that it will cover catfish completely when frying.
- Heat oil until sizzling hot.
- Fry catfish in the hot oil, one at a time, turning to cook on all sides until golden brown and crispy and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Place on serving plates and squeeze lemon juice over the hot catfish.
- Garnish with fried mushrooms, enoki mushrooms and greens.
- Serve with a bowl of ponzu sauce.
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Makes 1 cup.