Wheat Loaf (no-meat Meat Loaf)
This recipe came from a vegetarian cooking class I took.It makes a great substitute for meat loaf!It is NOT low fat but,it is VERY good!It makes great sandwiches the day after too.Just slice and put on some whole Wheat bread with a little extra ketchup.YUMMY!
- 1 cup finley ground raw not toasted walnuts (I use my blender to do this)
- 1 cup wheat germ (also raw)
- 1 cup grated mild Cheddar Cheese
- 3/4 cup tomato juice
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 large Onion, finley chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the nuts,wheat germ and Cheese.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Turn all of the mixture into a WELL oiled loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- I glaze this with ketchup (fruit sweetened) about the last 5 minutes of baking.
- I also let this sit in the loaf pan for 5–10 minutes to firm up a little before removing.
- Serve like"meat loaf" with your favorite sides!