Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2sam and Tiny at World Recipes Y-Group
- October 2006
- Makes 2 Servings.
- 4 slices Country White sourdough bread, cut on deep diagonal into ⅓-inch-thick slices (each about 7x3½ inches)
- 4 thin slices prosciutto
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- 8 (¼-inch-thick) slices young asiago cheese or drained fresh mozzarella cheese
- ¼ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 (⅓-inch-thick) slices heirloom tomato (from about 1 large)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly butter 1 side of each bread slice.
- Place 2 bread slices, buttered side down, on work surface.
- Top each with 2 prosciutto slices, then 4 basil leaves, then 4 cheese slices.
- Sprinkle with salt and crushed red pepper.
- Top with remaining 2 bread slices, buttered side up.
- Heat olive oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sandwiches to skillet and cook until golden on bottom, about 4 minutes.
- Turn sandwiches over; transfer skillet to oven and bake until golden and cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Carefully lift off top bread slices from sandwiches and insert 3 tomato slices into each, then cover with bread tops and serve.
- Bon appétit.