Tortilla Soup I
Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
- Makes 4 servings.
- 1½ cups red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup green chiles
- 1 tsp cumin
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1½ cups frozen corn
- 1 can (14½ oz) stewed tomatoes, regular or mexican-style
- 5 corn tortillas
- ½ cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a 4-5 quart pan over medium-high heat, sauté onions and garlic in oil until limp, about 6 minutes.
- Add a little water to prevent sticking, if necessary.
- Add chiles and cumin, stir 30 seconds, then mix in broth, corn, and tomatoes.
- Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Slice tortillas into bite-size strips and place into soup bowls.
- Ladle soup on top, sprinkle with cheese, and garnish with cilantro.