Tibetan Butter Tea
- 1 tablespoon loose tea leaves (preferably a smoky black tea)
- ¼ cup half-and-half (or half cream and half milk)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Boil tea in 4 cups of water for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from flame.
- Remove the tea leaves from the liquid by pouring through a sieve.
- Add half-and-half and butter to the strained tea.
- Add salt to taste (Tibetans like it very salty).
- This will cool the tea, so warm it briefly over a low flame, making sure the tea doesn't boil.
- For a frothy tea, pour it back and forth between two containers a few times.