Texas Baked Beans
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 6 to 8 Servings.
- Source: Marlboro Country Cookbook
- 1 lb. dried anasazi or pinto beans
- 1 cup chopped slab bacon
- 2 cups each, rough cut onions and bell peppers
- 2 jalapeno chili peppers, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped beef jerky (homemade or store bought), or smoked beef
- 1 cup catsup
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup each molasses and honey
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- Soak beans overnight in 6 cups cold water.
- Drain and put into a large cooking pot.
- Add water to cover beans, about 6 cups.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Drain, reserving cooking liquid.
- In a large kettle, cook bacon until crisp.
- Add onion and peppers; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, 2 cups bean cooking liquid, tomatoes, beef jerky, catsup, molasses, honey, Worcestershire and dry mustard.
- Stir to mix.
- Bring to a boil, cover and cook at a slow boil 1 to 1½ hours.
- Stir in apple sauce and ginger.
- Pour into a large bean pot and bake in a 350 °F oven, uncovered, for 1½ hours.