Tempura Green Beans, Yellow Beans And Tofu
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups ice water
- 1 14 oz (400 gm) package firm tofu
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 24 yellow wax beans, trimmed
- 24 thin green beans, trimmed
1) Combine first 5 ingredients for the batter in the blender.
3) Transfer batter to shallow dish.
4) Cut tofu horizontally into 1/2 inch (12 mm) wide slices.
5) Cut each slice into 1/2 inch (12 mm) wide logs.
6) Arrange tofu in single layer on several layers of paper towels.
7) Cover with paper towels.
8) Let stand 1 hour.
9) Pour enough oil into heavy large Dutch oven to reach depth of 3" (75 mm).
10) Heat oil to 375 deg F (180 deg C).
11) Working in batches, dip beans into batter, shake off excess and add to oil.
12) Fry until golden, stirring often, about 3 minutes per batch.
13) Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels; drain.
14) Repeat with tofu and batter.
Serve beans and tofu with sauce.