Stuffed Hushpuppies with Creole Tomato Sauce
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 3 cups-box hushpuppy mix, made following directions on box
- 1 bunch fresh leeks, washed and chopped into half moons
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, finely diced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ pound fresh rock shrimp, cleaned and peeled
- 1 pound fresh Maine lobster meat, cut into ½-inch chunks
- ½ pound crawfish tail meat
- salt and pepper
Creole tomato sauce
- 1 green pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- ½ stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 4 vine ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 each bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat a deep pot halfway filled with oil or a deep-fryer to 350 °F.
- With a medium ice cream scoop portion out the hush puppy mix and fry until golden brown.
- Allow to cool, then cut a slice of the top of the hushpuppy and scoop out the insides, being careful not to cut through the hushpuppy on the bottom or sides.
- Set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium to high heat, sauté the leeks, ginger,garlic, and onion in butter for 10 minutes, being careful not to brown.
- Add the heavy cream and turn to low and allow the cream to reduce by half.
- When cream has reduced by half add the shrimp, lobster, and crawfish and cook until the mixture is slightly thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and keep warm.
Creole tomato sauce
- In a medium sauce pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté the pepper, onion, garlic, celery, and creole seasoning for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook on low for 25 minutes.
- Remove from stove and purée the sauce as smooth as possible in a blender or food processor.
- Pass through a sieve or colander.
- Keep warm.
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
Finishing the dish
- Stuff the hushpuppies with the rock shrimp/crawfish mixture and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Place 2 ounces of creole sauce on plate and top with stuffed hushpuppies.