Spicy Roasted Eggplant with Tofu
- Put cilantro, shallots, brown sugar, garlic, lime juice, chiles and salt in food processor or blender, and blend into smooth paste.
- Heat wok or medium-sized skillet over high heat.
- Add whole eggplants, and cook until skins begin to char, turning with tongs to blacken on all sides.
- Remove from heat, cool and slice on diagonal into 1-inch-thick slices.
- Heat oil in same pan or wok over high heat.
- Add cilantro paste, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add eggplant, and stir-fry 3 minutes more, or until just tender.
- Stir in tofu and basil leaves, and serve garnished with whole fresh basil leaves.