- Mix together sugar and ground almonds, and add enough beaten egg to give a soft consistency.
- Add almond extract and knead for one minute or until the paste is smooth and pliable.
- Set aside, covered.
- Preheat oven to 140°C (275°F).
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs, a bit at a time.
- Sift flour, salt and spice, and add to mixture alternately with dried fruit, mixed peel and zest of lemon.
- Mix well together.
- Place half the mixture into a well lined 7 inch (18 cm) tin and smooth top with a wooden spoon.
- Roll out ½ the almond paste into a circle and place on top of the cake mixture.
- Pour in remainder of cake batter and smooth top, hollowing the top slightly.
- Bake in a preheated oven 140°C (275°F), for one and a half to two hours.
- Remove and set on rack to cool.
- When cake is quite cold, brush top with slightly warmed apricot jam.
- Roll out remainder of almond paste to fit top of cake.
- Lay it on top of the apricot jam.
- With the scraps of paste, form eleven small egg shapes, and place eggs around the edge.
- Brush entire top including eggs with a little beaten egg.
- Return cake to the oven for about 10 minutes at 180°C (350°F) for almond paste to brown.