Simmered Apple Chicken with Rice
Poultry Recipes by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 6
- 1½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 3 to 4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1½ cups apple juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups chopped apple (Fuji, Golden Delicious, or Granny Smith)
- In large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of water, brown the chicken on both sides; remove chicken from skillet.
- Add onion and bouillon cube; cook until onion is transparent. Add rice, apple juice and water and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to low and add chicken. Cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Add apples and cook additional 10 minutes. Cook until all liquid is absorbed.