Rosemary's Root Beer Tonic
This sweet, bracing drink from Rosemary Gladstar Slick is reminiscent of old-fashioned root beer, due to the sassafras. It has a cleansing, revivifying effect from the dandelion, burdock and sarsaparilla.
- Makes about 4 cups
- 3 oz sassafras bark, dried
- 2 oz sarsaparilla, dried
- 1 oz dandelion root, dried
- 1 oz burdock root, dried
- ½ oz ground ginger
- ½ oz ground cinnamon
- ¼ oz orange peel, dried
- Mix together all ingredients and store in a tightly closed container.
- In a large pot combine 1 quart of water and 4 tablespoons of dry mixture.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain and sweeten with honey or stevia (also called "sweet herb") if desired.