Rice Crème Brûlée I
Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups milk
- 1½ cups light cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 9 egg yolks
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sliced blanched almonds
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- Put rice in 7½x12x2-inch baking dish.
- Scald milk and cream, but do not boil.
- Add sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Beat egg yolks until light in color; add extracts and salt.
- Stir hot milk gradually into egg mixture.
- Pour over rice; stir.
- The custard should be about 1½ inches deep.
- Place dish in large pan; pour hot water around it.
- Bake at 300 degrees 1 hour or until knife inserted near center of custard comes out clean.
- Cool; then chill thoroughly.
- Sprinkle with almonds and top with brown sugar.
- Place under the broiler for a few minutes or just until sugar melts and runs together.
- Serve immediately or chill again and serve cold.
- Just before serving, shatter the glaze by tapping lightly with knife.