Chicken with onions
- 3 to 4 lb chicken
- 6 lemons, squeezed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 onions, sliced in rounds
- 1 or 2 red peppers or ¼ to ½ tsp cayenne
- 4 – 6 tbsp oil (Africans use more oil)
- bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooked rice for 4 – 6 people
- Wash and dry chicken, and cut into pieces.
- Marinate chicken in mixture of lemon juice, onions, garlic and 2 to 3 tbsp of the oil for several hours, turning occasionally as that all parts are covered.
- Remove chicken and grill, broil, or braise until all pieces are lightly browned on all sides.
- Drain onions and garlic, but retain the marinade.
- Use a heavy casserole, dutch oven, or fryer chicken; sauté onions and garlic in the remaining oil until soft.
- Add chicken, bay leaf, peppers or cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until chicken is tender (1 to 1½ hours) or bake covered in medium (325°F) oven.
- Add marinade now and then so the at the mixture remains moist.
- Serve over hot rice.