Pinto Bean Cake
This is a dense, moist cake with a surprisingly good taste. Because it is an exception to low-fat guidelines, include it only on special occasions.
- Source: The UCSD Healthy Diet For Diabetes, by Susan Algert, MS, RD, Barbara Grasse, RD, CDE, and Annie Durning, MS, RD, ©1990 by Regents of The University of California.
- Makes 12 Servings
- ¼ cup fructose (granulated)
- ½ cup margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cooked and mashed pinto beans
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp allspice
- 2 cups diced apples
- ¾ cup raisins
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly oil a 10-inch angel food cake or bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- With an electric mixer or food processor, cream fructose and margarine until smooth.
- Stir in eggs and beans.
- Sift all dry ingredients together and add to sugar mixture.
- Add apples, raisins, nuts, and vanilla.
- Pour into pan and bake for 45 minutes or until done.
- 210 calories | 10g Total Fat | 46mg Cholesterol | 113mg Sodium | 60mg Potassium | 6g Protein | 25g Carbs | 3g Fiber
- Exchanges: 1½ starch | 2 fats
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/