Parmesan-crusted Calamari Sandwich on Grilled Focaccia
Bread with California avocado and horseradish
- 1 calamari steak, lightly breaded
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1 oz flour
- 3 oz Parmesan cheese
- 2 gallons clarified butter
- focaccia bread (6 x 6) oiled
- 2 green-leaf lettuce
- 1 oz alfalfa sprouts
- 2 tomato (5 x 6) slices
- ½ ripe medium California avocado, seeded, peeled and fanned
- 1 pickle spear
- 1 radicchio leaf
- 1 belgian endive leaf
- 1 oz grilled zucchini, sliced
- 1 oz grilled yellow squash
- Slightly pound calamari.
- flour, egg, and dredge in Parmesan cheese, making sure cheese coats well.
- If not, dip in egg and cheese again.
- In teflon sauce pan, heat clarified butter.
- When hot, briefly saute calamari until brown on both sides.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towel.
- Brush focaccia bread with clarified butter and grill.
- Cut on bias giving you a triangle.
- Grill zucchini and yellow squash ahead and cool.
- Assemble sandwich with green leaf, sliced tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts, and avocado.
- Drizzle tartar sauce on top.
- Garnish plate and serve.
- Tartar sauce preparation:.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.