Papaya Black Beans and Rice
Fruits and Veggies Matter, Adult Recipe Cards by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
The sweetness of papaya balances the spice of cayenne pepper in this Caribbean-inspired favorite. Wrap any leftovers in a wholewheat tortilla for a quick next-day lunch.
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 6
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 medium papaya, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups brown rice, cooked
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add all ingredients except beans and rice.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until bell peppers are crisp-tender.
- Stir in beans. Cook about 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve over rice.
- One large pepper equals one cup chopped. One medium onion equals one cup chopped.
- Reduce the number of ingredients needed. Use 2 cups of red peppers or 2 cups of green peppers instead of 1 cup of each. Use either lemon juice or orange juice instead of both. Lemon juice adds tartness while orange juice adds sweetness.