Panko-crusted Fried Avocado Maki Sushi with Wasabi Crème Fraîche
Seasoned sushi rice
- Thoroughly mix crème fraîche, lemon juice and wasabi; reserve.
- Lay first nori sheet, shiny side down, on a bamboo sushi mat.
- Put pieces of cucumber, carrot, red and yellow bell pepper and avocado in a strip horizontally at front edge of nori sheet.
- Using the sushi mat, tightly roll nori sheet from front to back edge.
- Remove mat; repeat 11 times more.
- Lay second nori sheet, shiny side down, on a bamboo sushi mat.
- Cover it with 1 cup of sushi rice from front edge to within 1 inch of back edge.
- Place 1 reserved vegetable roll horizontally midway between front and back edge of nori.
- Lift the front edge and fold it to the exposed back edge of nori.
- Using the sushi mat, firmly shape the roll; repeat 11 times more.
Just before service
- Mix the panko and furikake together; spread mixture in a shallow pan.
- Beat eggs; reserve in a shallow dish large enough to fit a whole sushi roll.
- Lightly dust each sushi roll with flour; then dip in egg.
- Next, roll in panko mixture.
- Reserve rolls.
- Quickly deep fry 1 sushi roll until golden brown and crisp, about 1 minute.
- Pat rolls with a towel to remove excess oil.
- Using a thin, sharp knife, trim ends of sushi, then cut into 8 or 10 slices.
- Arrange on a serving dish with about 1 tablespoon crème fraîche mixture on the plate.
Seasoned sushi rice
- Heat rice vinegar, sugar and salt until sugar and salt dissolve; cool.
- Wash medium-grain Japanese rice until the water runs clear; drain well.
- Put rice, water, and konbu in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer.
- Cook over very low heat until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Let rest 10 minutes.
- Immediately put rice in a large bowl; remove konbu.
- Sprinkle hot rice with reserved sushi vinegar mixture, turning rice over with a wooden paddle, until rice is flavored evenly, using about 1⅓ cups; take care not to add too much, which will make rice mushy.
- Cover rice with a towel; cool.
- Yield: 3 quarts.