Orange Pecan Muffins
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Can be frozen
- Makes 6 servings
- 4 ounces almond flour, 1 cup
- ½ cup golden flax meal, 2 ounces
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce pecans, chopped, ¼ cup
- 1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon pure orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons water or orange juice 
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, from 1 small orange
- 2 eggs
- In a small bowl, stir together the almond flour, flax meal, baking powder, salt, nuts and granular Splenda, if using.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave.
- Stir in the liquid Splenda, if using, the extracts, cream, water and orange zest.
- Add the dry ingredients  and the eggs to the butter mixture; stir with a wooden spoon until well blended.
- Fill 6 paper-lined muffin cups with the batter, dividing it evenly among them.
- You can spray the liners with cooking spray, but they didn't seem to stick too much.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 – 20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
- Cool 5 minutes on a rack before removing from the pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Serve with butter or cream cheese spread.
- using orange juice doesn't affect the net carb count per muffin.
- You can mix the dry ingredients ahead of time and store them in a zipper bag in the freezer until you're ready to make the muffins. Be sure to label the bag and bring the muffin mix to room temperature before using.
Per 1 muffin serving, with granular Splenda:
- 284 Calories | 24g Fat | 8g Protein | 12g Carbohydrate | 5g Dietary Fiber | 7g Net Carbs
Per 1 muffin serving, with liquid Splenda:
- 268 Calories | 24g Fat | 8g Protein | 8g Carbohydrate | 5g Dietary Fiber | 3g Net Carbs