Old-fashioned Pineapple Upside-down Cake
Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 8 ounce can drained, sliced pineapple
- 9 maraschino cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites (room temperature)
- Cream the butter and gradually add brown sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Spread creamed mixture evenly into a 9 inch cast iron skillet.
- Arrange pineapple and cherries evenly over mixture.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Gradually add Sugar, beating well.
- Combine flour and salt then add to yolk mixture alternating with water and stirring well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Spoon batter evenly over pineapple slices in skillet.
- Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
- Cool for 30 minutes in pan and invert cake onto serving platter.