Old-fashioned Goose Giblets and Barley Soup
Goose Frozen Whole by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced onion
- goose giblets, neck, and carcass
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 x 1-pound can tomatoes
- 1 cup barley
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- Melt butter in soup pot. Saute onion until limp, but not browned.
- Add giblets, neck, carcass, water, salt, and celery salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove loose meat and bones with a slotted spoon. Cut meat from neck and carcass and finely chop giblets; return meat to soup pot.
- Add tomatoes, barley, beef broth cube, and thyme.
- Return soup to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 additional hour.