Okra Soup I
Okra, also known as lady’s fingers and gumbo, are the pods of a tropical African plant. They produce a gluey substance when cooked that thickens soups and stews, as in this recipe.
- Serves 2 - 4.
- ½ pound / 225 g okra, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons / 25 g margarine
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups / 470 ml chicken stock
- First, melt the margarine in a saucepan and then put in the okra, cinnamon, salt and pepper and the stock.
- Cover and bring to the boil.
- Now turn down the heat and let the soup simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
- After that let the soup cool a little and then transfer it to a blender.
- Mix well, adjust the seasoning and the consistency, adding more water, stock or milk if required.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and serve hot.