O-i Keem Chee
Korean Cucumber Pickle
- Yield: 4 servings
- 6 cucumbers
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 scallions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ⅛ tsp dried ground chili peppers
- ⅛ tsp powdered ginger
- ½ tsp chopped candied ginger (optional)
- ⅔ cup water
- Scrub the cucumbers thoroughly.
- Cut in half lengthwise, then cut into pieces ½ inch thick.
- Sprinkle with 1 tbsp of the salt and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Wash and drain the cucumbers.
- Chop the scallion coarsely.
- Add the garlic, chili peppers, ginger, and remaining salt.
- Combine these ingredients with the cucumbers and place in a bowl.
- Add the water and stir.
- Cover and place in a warm spot.
- Marinate for at least 48 hours, although if the weather is cool it will sometimes take several days longer to become pickled.
- In order to prevent the pickle odor from spreading, either place in a secluded spot or cover well with several layers of cloth.
- Chill and serve cold as a relish.