Nigerian Groundnut Stew II
Serves 3 – 4
- 2½ to 3 lbs stewing chicken
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ – ¼ tsp hot pepper
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 – 1½ cups natural peanut butter
- rice, cooked according to directions
- side dishes suggested:
- Bring chicken to boil with about 2 quart water.
- Add salt, hot pepper, onion and garlic.
- Simmer until tender cool. Debone.
- Using ½ cup peanut butter per lb of chicken (before cooking weight) mix in hot broth until a smooth sauce is formed.
- Add chicken and cook slowly for at least half an hour.
- Can be cooked for hours in crockpot. If a thicker gravy is preferred thicken with cornstarch.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve over hot cooked rice with side dishes of tropical fruits as you would curry. "Ground nuts" is the Nigerian name for peanuts