Namibian Black-eyed Peas
- Soak fresh peas (used canned peas if you cannot find fresh) in cold water for about five minutes to soften.
- Using both hands, rub and gently squeeze the peas as they continue to soak.
- This process will gradually loosen the skins, which will float to the top.
- Skim and discard the skins.
- Drain and rinse the peas, add salt and hot pepper and cover with clean water.
- Boil until tender.
- Serve, along with the cooking water over oshifima or another stiff porridge.
- If you like, you can cook greens, such as spinach and perhaps serve some sliced bananas with peanuts to have a complete meal.