Lunch Menu: Cup of potato hominy soup and chile cheese bread or corn bread. Vegetarian version of posole based on dish made by Pueblo Indians for feast days and other celebrations.
- Can be prepared in advance.
- Can be doubled.
- For the broth, try 3 cups water with 2 tsp vegetable base and 1 tsp commercial mole.
- Heat oil in a medium-size pot, and saute onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Add cumin, stir well, then add potatoes and green chiles.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, another 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and hominy.
- Simmer the soup, covered, over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the fresh cilantro to warm it.
- Serve hot with a chile and cheese quick, yeast, or corn bread.
- Add salt and pepper after tasting.
- Chop roasted green chile peppers and red bell peppers.
- Shred Swiss or cheddar or jack cheese.
- Work these into cornbread batter.