Luck and Money
Luck and Money, or collards and black-eyed-peas, are traditionally eaten in the south on New Year's Day. There are a variety of ways to prepare them: this is one version.
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black-eyed peas (drained and rinsed)
- ½ package frozen chopped collard greens
- ½ lb ham, cut into cubes (optional)
- 1 cup prepared rice
- 1 tsp sugar
- garlic powder
- dried onion
- shredded cheese (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine tomatoes, black-eyed peas and sugar.
- Add garlic and dried onions to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and allow to simmer uncovered for at least 10 minutes (longer is better).
- Add collards and ham, continue to cook for another 5–10 minutes, or until collards are cooked.
- Remove from heat and add rice, mixing thoroughly.
- Top with shredded cheese after serving if desired.
- Skip adding the rice, and serve over baked potatoes.
- Omit the ham to make this a vegetarian dish.